Here’s what worked for us. Please feel free to use our method or improve it.
Select a topic you want to discuss.
- Pick something from our selection of discussion or make your own.
Invite your friends and people who you feel would enjoy the discussion.
- Be mindful in selecting people who are ready to have an open, honest conversation.
- We try to build a group of diverse minds and experiences to help enhance the discussion.
- We like to keep our groups to 14 people or less so everyone has a chance to contribute.
- Share time, location, discussion topic, what’s expected and give people plenty of notice and a reminder.
Welcome everyone and explain
- Welcome everyone to your discussion group and explain the purpose is to discuss an important topic and to learn from each other.
- The key thing is to make sure everyone understands that our goal is to seek out truth and better understand the topic, this isn’t a place for agendas, just friends seeking better understanding.
- Tell them the format of your discussion group.
Our Discussion Format
- We project the presentations onto a television screen, (paper print outs would also work).
- We often start with a TED talk and then go in a circle reading one quote at a time.
- Discussion is encouraged every step of the way, whether it’s after a quote or after all readings have been completed.
Eat and Be Merry
- Serve something, tea, coffee, dessert, a meal, whatever would suit your guests and you best. You just discussed something meaningful and now should just enjoy each other’s company.